Before I had digestion issues and went the plant based route, the breakfast burrito was definitely my go to breakfast, especially when I had had a monster of a night, the night before and needed something substantial, yet easy.
I had never had a breakfast burrito before I travelled to America. I was there for 3 months and think I had one every day! Haha. This is my plant based take on it and trust me, it is AMAZING. If you hate tofu, give it a try anyway. Your mind will be changed by this. I have seen a LOAD of recipes on the internet for a vegan burrito. I have taken the best bits of all of them, Bruce Lee style, and created what I believe to be the ultimate burrito.
As always, this recipe is majorly customisable to you. You want it a bit healthier? Add some capsicum (peppers) or spinach. I frequently add black beans to the mixture but left them out here. You can also easily, if you are not following a plant based diet, swap some things around. Use chorizo instead of soyrizo, add some bacon. You can even use the more traditional scrambled egg instead of the tofu scramble. Have a go and let me know what you think…..
Makes 2 big burritos or 3 medium ones (for you weaklings)…….
Protein and calorie info:
2 burritos has 774 calories and 30g protein in each
3 burritos has 600 calories and 22g protein in each
- 250g package of firm/extra firm tofu
- 3 jumbo burrito tortillas
- 2 potato rostis from my recipe
- 55 grams (roughly) gorund soyrizo (mince) or a soyrizo link
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- hot sauce, to taste (just put in way too much like I always do!)
- a big handful of vegan grated cheese (or normal cheese if you prefer) – I used Daiya Cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- oil for frying, I used extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Cut the tofu length ways into 2 large squares and then quarter each square. You should end up with 8 squares the same size, about 1-1.5cm deep. Lay them on some paper towels, lay some more paper towel on top of the tofu and then place something heavy like a cast iron casserole dish, on top of the whole thing. This is to squeeze out any liquid and should be done for 20 – 30 minutes before step 3. If you are making the rosti’s at this point, instead of using ones you made earlier, get on with that now
- Fry the onion and soyrizo in about 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil for a couple of minutes in a sauté pan, over a medium-high heat
- Wrap the tortillas in silver foil and put in the oven for 10 minutes. Set a timer!
- Meanwhile, scrunch the tofu up in your hands, it will either feel amazing or disgusting, nothing in-between! Add it to the pan
- Add the garlic and turmeric powders, a pinch of salt and a LOT of black pepper and give everything a stir
- Cut the rosti’s into bite size pieces and add them to the pan. Leave everything to heat up for a couple of minutes
- Add the diced tomato to the pan
- Add as much hot sauce as you can handle
- Add the cheese, this is important as it adds not only taste, but becomes a binder.
- There should be 3 or 4 minutes to go, so turn the heat down to low and let everything mingle..
- Take out the tortillas from the oven, spoon the mixture evenly between 3 tortillas (or 4 if you are a weakling) and roll into a burrito shape. You do this by folding the sides in first and then rolling up like a cigar. Don’t go too tight. That’s just wrong
I always wrap mine in foil and have one for the next day or two. Reheat again in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes.
Queens of the Stone Age “Songs For The Deaf”
The Breakfast burrito will always remind me of America. Specifically the West Coast, California. What also reminds me of that trip is driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco in a convertible, blasting this album at (pardon the pun) deafening levels. It is a PERFECT driving album.
As it turns out, is a perfect Burrito making/eating album too. I simply cannot recommend this album enough. It is almost perfect and that is VERY rare. The musicianship, the members of the band, the attitude, the tunings of guitars, the overall kickassness of the tunes. This has to be played on vinyl and loud. It will make your life better.