Don’t worry, it tastes better than it looks!
When the doc told me I couldn’t eat eggs anymore, back when I wasn’t thinking of ethical eating, my initial reaction was ‘what the hell am I going to have for breakfast’???? Actually my initial thought was to body slam him followed by a ‘peoples elbow’, but after that, with no bodies having been slammed, I set out for a replacement.
Most people when going vegan, come across tofu scramble early on and after a few disastrous attempts at making it, I finally perfected (to my taste anyway) it. I then had it for breakfast for approximately 673 days and got REALLY bored of it. I knew it still had potential though so wanted to try out a few different things. Enter the Mexiscramble.
The idea came to me after a trip to Southern California and eating some of the most amazing Mexican inspired food I have ever tasted. I used to substitute milk or cream with sour cream in eggs all the time, it really works so have done the same here with a vegan sour cream, to which I have added some chopped jalapenos that make ALL the difference. I also fry up and add direct to the scramble, some torn corn tortillas.
Try it this way. It makes a fun alternative to a vegan classic.
Serves 2 (21g protein, 500 calories per serve)
- 250g firm/extra firm tofu
- 4 corn tortillas (soft, but hopefully hard tortillas have never been an option for you, if they have, leave now and we won’t have to take this further) Recipe here if you want to make them yourself -highly recommended
- ½ brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- ½ green pepper (capsicum), diced
- 2 – 3 big tablespoons vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti Sour Supreme)
- 6 – 8 jarred jalapeño slices, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Small handful of coriander, washed and chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce and/or pico de gallo, to serve
- Refried beans as a side if you are REALLY hungry!
- Start by chopping your tofu in half lengthways making 2 big squares. Then cut each square into 4. You should end up with 8 squares, the same size and thickness. Lay them on some paper towel, then layer some more paper towel on top and stick something heavy, like your mum, on top for about 20 minutes. You can get away with 10 minutes, but 20 is perfect
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat
- Roll up your corn tortillas, and then cut them into slices about an inch or so thick or just tear them if you don’t want this looking pretty, which it shouldn’t look. Add the oil to the pan, spread around evenly and add the tortilla slices and fry for a minute or so. You want them well cooked but not burned/crispy, so keep moving them around the pan
- Take out and place on a sheet of paper towel to get rid of some of the excess oil. Turn your pan to medium heat and leave for a minute to cool down a bit
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and a touch more oil, but only if needed. Fry for a couple of minutes until the onion begins to soften
- Scrunch the tofu in your hand roughly and add to the pan. You are looking for the shape and texture of scrambled eggs. Or if you are not vegan, just add some eggs to the pan!
- Add the turmeric, cumin and garlic powder and chopped tomato
- Meanwhile make the sour cream. Simply add your chopped jalapenos to the sour cream and mix
- After a few minutes, add the sour cream directly to the tofu and stir everything. You don’t want to keep it in the pan for too long so keep stirring, add in the coriander and the cooked tortilla slices
- Season with salt and pepper and give everything a stir. It should now be ready
- This should have a nice kick to it, but if you want more heat, like I will, add a good glug of hot sauce over the top
- Serve as is or with a pico de gallo or side of refried beans
- Hangover………….. Gone
Corduroy “Dad Man Cat”
Let’s face it, this is hangover food. You’re gonna be hurting whilst eating this and therefore, you need something to ease you back into life. The last thing you want to do is think about things or be analytical, therefore you don’t need any pesky singers giving you a message. You want relaxing music to stop being a zombie too. So listen to this album, it is perfect for hangovers. Now, consider drinking less, you crazy son of a bitch.
Joking, grab a beer and get some hair of the dog in ya!
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!!
This album is not on Spotify so you will definitely have to buy it yourself!….