OK, so this is not the healthiest meal I have ever made, but every now and then you have to treat yourself. This is one of those times. Perhaps you better have it with a salad though! I had mine with a red cabbage, carrot and chilli salad.
Hey, it does have a LOAD of protein though….
My vegan fried chick’n recipe was inspired by Chef Roberto Martin and his genius way of wrapping Gardein Scallopini’s in rice paper rolls. I amended the flour recipe to a more familiar, homestyle version and am very happy with the results. I wanted to take it one step further though and make a garlic chick’n kiev. The result, I am happy to say, is one of the best things I have ever made/co made!
The basic way of making it is the same, however I smear 1 scallopini with vegan garlic butter and lay the other on top and carefully mould the sides. When wrapped in the rice paper, the butter is completely sealed in and every ounce of flavour is kept inside.
I haven’t baked these yet, but I am going to have a go at making a healthier version soon, with homemade breadcrumbs that suit baking a little more. Also coming will be a non-breaded, baked, Mediterranean stuffed chick’n.
- 8 Gardein chick’n scallopinis (2 packs), thawed in the fridge
- 1 ¼ cups raw cashews
- Tabasco sauce, loads
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 rice paper rolls
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Canola oil to fry (you will need about half a bottle so get the cheap stuff)
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the cashews in 2 cups water. As soon as the water starts to boil, remove from the heat and leave for an hour
- Once ready, drain the cashews, add to a blender with 1 ½ cups of water and blend for a few minutes, until a creamy texture has formed
- Transfer to a bowl and add as much tabasco sauce as your tastebuds can handle . Set aside
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cajun seasoning, smoked parika, garlic and onion powder and some salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, add the butter, minced garlic and parsley. Use a fork to mash it all together
- Spoon ¼ of the mixture onto a scallopini
- Add another scallopini on top and squeeze the sides together. Massage it for a bit and make sure it is solid, without breaking the sides. It should like the photo below. Repeat with the other scallopinis
- Add some hot water to a frying pan and wait until you can touch it safely, but it is still warm. Add a rice paper roll to the water for a few seconds, until it softens
- Lay it on a clean surface and put the kiev just below the centre, wrap the roll around the kiev and massage it a bit until it is as smooth as you can get it. Repeat with the other 3
- Dip the kiev into the seasoned flour, shake off the excess flour, dip into the cashew cream and then back into the flour. Make sure all surfaces are covered. Repeat with the remaining kievs
- Heat the oil in a high sided sauce pan or similar. Drop in a tiny bit of the creamy flour dough. If it boils upon impact, it is ready. If not, keep heating. Once it is, drop the kievs in (either one at a time, two or all of them, depending on the size of your pan – it is cheaper to do them in a smaller pan though, just be careful because this is REALLY hot). Fry for about 2 minutes per side or until it looks golden brown
- Dry off on some paper towel and serve with something healthy, like a salad!!
The Prodigy “The Fat Of The Land”
Matching this was an interesting experience. I needed something that was an every now and then treat. Something that is amazing but too much of and it will definitely kill you. That can only be the Prodigy, listen to too much of this shit and you WILL die.
The Fat of the Land was the real first crossover dance/rock album as far as I am concerned. I grew up an unapologetic band loving guitarist and didn’t realise just how good dance music was until The Prodigy came along. I suddenly looked back at all the amazing music I had been missing out on. Do the same! Not all dance music is shit doof doof, but more importantly, not all doof doof music is shit.
Liam Howlett is a genius.