Simplicity is sometimes exactly what your body needs. I wanted to make a breakfast where only one thing is needed – good quality ingredients.
Hass Avocados are in big supply in Australia at the moment, so what better than avocado on toast? With some chopped tomatoes to help the nutrition on its way.
Avocado and tomato are as good a pairing as Conor McGregor and John Kavanagh! Avocados are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium and potassium. They also provide lutein, beta-carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids. Don’t be put off by the high fat content in avocados, not all fat is equal and and healthy fats like these actually slow down the absorption of carbohydrate, which helps keep blood sugar levels stable. Tomatoes have too many benefits to name. Instead of me listing everything, just check out this page. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=44 to know that they should be consumed in high quantities.
A VERY healthy and majorly tasty, easy Sunday breakfast.
Nutritional Information (minus the olive oil):
- Calories = 425
- Protein = 11.1g
- Fat = 17.4g
- Saturated Fat = 4.3g
- Carbohydrate = 58.2g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- salt and pepper
- dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, for rubbing
- Heat a griddle pan (or similar) on a high heat
- Carefully cut your avocado in half and scoop out all the flesh into a bowl
- Add lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mash with a fork but be careful not to mash too much. You want some chunky pieces in there
- Put your sourdough slices on the pan, turn heat down to medium and grill for a minute or two on each side, until nice charred marks appear
- Drizzle with olive oil and rub a garlic clove over the bread (trust me, this makes it)
- Spread the avocado on the toast and add some chopped tomato over the top
- Season again with salt and pepper and add some cayenne pepper if you wish. Serve
- Get it into ya!!