I have recently upped my running and have reached a new top of 8k. That is a warm-up to seasoned runners, but I can still remember having to stop after 400m, so this is a big goal completed for me. 10k will be my bitch soon.
Before I do “long” runs, I eat a big bowl of oatmeal beforehand and I have noticed that when I do, I can push out a few extra k’s and I stay fuller for much longer as the combination of fruit and oats is perfect energy fuel.
This is episode 3 in the oatmeal series and is my favourite so far. Grated apple, raisins and cinnamon give it an almost baked, comfort food feel.
Love it. Get it into ya.
- ½ cup of quick/porridge oats
- ¾ cup soy milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 apple, grated
- handful raisins
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- dash of cinnamon (I hate the term dash!)
- Start by grating the apple
- Add the oats, soy milk and water to a saucepan and put on a low to medium heat
- Using a soft spatula (or just wooden spoon if you don’t have one) keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes (or until the consistency is a bit too loose)
- Add the grated apple, sugar and raisins and continue cook until the desired consistency is reached
- Serve sprinkled with a dash (eeugh) of cinnamon
- Easy. Now go for a run, lard-arse (I’m talking to me).
Pearl Jam “Yield”
If you are new to Pearl Jam, I would start from the beginning and work from there. “Ten” is where it all began, but if you are a casual fan or lost them after a couple of albums, I highly recommend this album. It is really where new Pearl Jam began, but whilst they still had enough angst to still include their punk rock origins.
I listen to this album a lot when I am running, hence why I am saying give it a listen with my running food….