I thought it was time for a new episode in my series of the perfect protein pairing of Rice n Beans and wanted to go with an Asian inspired coconut curry. If you have been following this series, you will be aware that there are only 2 rules I follow – the recipe must have the main ingredients as rice and legumes/beans and it must be simple.
The idea behind rice and beans, in my opinion, is to get a nutritional power house in a very simple midweek meal. It may include long prep times or cooking times but it HAS to be easy. Therefore, I don’t go for too many herb/ingredients/spices concoctions, but still try and get as much flavour as I can in.
I have paired a brown rice with kidney beans, chosen veg that can be cut small to decrease cooking time and included coconut milk. Coconut milk makes everything taste better right?
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 400g cans kidney beans (or any bean you like), drained and rinsed
- 2 400ml cans coconut milk (I used light but that is a preference)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon, coriander
- Salt and pepper
- spring onions to serve
- Heat a large pan of salted water on your hob and bring to boil. Heat a large saucepan or saute pan over a medium heat and add the oil
- Fry the onions, peppers (capsicum) and carrot for 5 minutes and then add the chilli, garlic and ginger. Fry for a further 2 minutes
- Add the curry powder and coriander and stir everything to coat
- Add the beans, coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Raise the heat until it starts to boil, then lower the heat and bring to a simmer
- Now cook your rice according to the packet instructions, this should take about 25-30 minutes at which point, the beans will be ready. Just keep stirring everything frequently
- Season the beans with salt and pepper and serve sprinkled with chopped spring onions
The Clash “London Calling”
For no other reason than it is one of the greatest albums ever made and I am going home in 6 weeks for a Month. London really is calling so why not listen to a near perfect album as it does!
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!!
src=”https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:6FCzvataOZh68j8OKzOt9a” width=”300″ height=”380″ frameborder=”0″ allowtransparency=”true”>