I used to LOVE KFC Fillet burgers. When you are in a band, you eat whatever you can get your hands on, at ridiculous hours of the day/night and my go to was always a KFC fillet burger and chips. The rest of the band was either Mcdonalds or Burger King and luckily in London, they are always right next to each other so we would split up and go and eat whatever rubbish we could find.
Now though, I am educated on where my food comes from, I (and I am addressing EVERY fast food place, not just KFC) see how horrific these places are and make no mistake about it, these places are horrific. I can’t believe I ever ate there, but I did.
When Gardein products came to Australia, I was excited because these products actually taste like chicken. Weirdly so. So I set about recreating a guilt free version of the fast food chicken burger, the Juddy Fried Chicken Fillet Burger!
I use 2 scallopinis for each burger but you can make smaller ones with 1. I always have a batch of cashew cream in the fridge that acts as the butter milk and homemade breadcrumbs with my own secret spice. Well, it’s not secret anymore is it????
The burgers can be fried or baked, the one in the photo is baked but the thing is, as much as Gardein tastes great, it is still processed food so make it an every now and then thing and you might as well fry it!
- 8 Gardein Scallopinis (thawed)
- 1 cup cashews
- Tabasco Sauce
- Flour to dust
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs (make some yourself, it’s really easy)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- Start by making the cashew cream. Put the cashews in a saucepan, cover with water by a couple of inches, bring to the boil and as soon as it does, remove from the heat and leave for an hour. Then drain and rinse the cashews, place in a blender with 1 ¼ cups of cold water and blend until a cream consistency. A couple of minutes will do ya. Season with loads of Tabasco and mix
- Take 2 scallopinis and squeeze together and mould the sides until you have 1 larger scallopini. This takes a bit of faffing around but you will get there. Just make sure all edges are sealed and then shape into a Fillet shape, they usually have one side thicker than the other. Is faffing a word?
- In a large sealable bag (use a mixing bowl if you don’t have one), add the breadcrumbs, onion and garlic powder, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and a good pinch of salt and pepper
- Dust each “breast” with flour, spread and then shake off excess
- Dip each “breast” in the cashew cream and then one by one, put in the bag and shake about a bit to make sure all surface is covered in the mixture
- To cook, either bake in a 200 degree Celsius oven for about 35 – 40 minutes, turning half way or fry in a good bit of canola oil for about 3-5 minutes on each side
- Serve in buns with iceberg (I know it’s rubbish, but it is good crunch) lettuce and vegan mayo with some chips (fries)
- Thank Colonel Juddy
Fun Lovin’ Criminals “100% Colombian”
I chose this album to listen to for personal reasons. It is a great album, that is the most important thing, but there is also a story to go with it. My friend Steve is in the band (well he was on this album) and he told me once that when they supported U2 on tour, U2 got them KFC for one of their private jets. He told me a story of how they all sat on KFC trays and when the plane took off, the incline made a great ramp for them to fly down the aisles of the jet in.
The story has always made me laugh and KFC have always reminded me of FLC as a result.
Top album too. I got Supermodels on my D.