This is a bonus recipe I thought I would add in as a guy from my work asked how to make bread crumbs and I realised that I too one day, needed help with this kind of thing.
I have made my own homemade breadcrumbs for years now as I hate not knowing what goes into the food I eat, but in doing this, I checked out a few packets at a local supermarket and the ingredients that went into it shocked me. Really, all you need is bread but to make crumbs that last for ages in your store cupboard, the companies put COMPLETE SHIT in there to preserve them. It is more like a list of chemicals than a food list. That was bad enough but then I found out that very few bread crumbs bought from a store are vegetarian/vegan. What the fuck???? Most have fish in them!
So here is my healthy (well, healthier – it is still bread) way of making bread crumbs.
Don’t forget you can use any bread here. White/brown/rye/gluten free – your choice.
The only thing I really want to add here is a lot of recipes I found tell you to remove the crust. If you find these people, give them a peoples elbow for me, the crust is the best bit! Also, I lightly season my breadcrumbs and chuck in some rosemary and thyme to highlight the savoury element. This is totally optional.
Makes as much as you have bread for.
- Dried rosemary and thyme
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat your oven to about 160 degrees Celsius
- Bake the bread for around 10 – 15 minutes, turning half way. You want the bread to toast up nicely. Leave it to cool for a few minutes
- Shred those sum bitches up by hand and add to a food processor
- Add any of the seasonings you want from the ingredients list (only a tiny bit)
- Blitz until you have perfect breadcrumbs