Like a TOTAL G, I just ate these breakfast potatoes for Lunch. I am a dangerous man, I could do anything!
Anyone that knows me, knows that I love America, Los Angeles in particular. Every time I go there, I really look forward to the breakfasts. I love their tofu scrambles, Mexican inspiration, cheap coffee (I am weird I know) and a BIG bowl of potatoes on the side. You never get that in England, where I grew up and I have no idea why. Potatoes are a perfect, gluten free, healthy (yes they are!) carbohydrate for breakfast.
It is a very simple recipe I have here and that is how it should be. Anyone offering anything else is doing it wrong! You can bake them if you like, but I much prefer to fry them as you can completely control the browning yourself then and a good potato hash should have perfect, browned, crispy potatoes. Use vegetable oil over olive oil to help this.
Have a go and let me know how you find them or if you have any good additions when you make them. I am happy with the progress with this site. I am getting a lot of regulars now (I see you all!!!) Thanks for that., it makes it worth it…
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red skinned potatoes, such as desiree (diced about 1-2cm wide)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper (capsicum) diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Put a large sauté or frying pan over a high heat
- Once preheated, add the oil
- Add the potatoes and stir constantly for about 10-12 minutes, until nicely browned
- Lower the heat to medium and add the onions and peppers. Season with the thyme and rosemary and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with scrambled tofu and beans
- Or whatever you want to serve it with!
- Get it into ya
Guns N’ Roses “Appetite For Destruction”
As I said, these potatoes remind me of Los Angeles and what is more L.A. than Guns n Roses??? This post is being brought to you in a week where the Gunners have reformed and are headlining Coachella (as I type this).
Make no mistakes and listen to know crazy fools (apart from me), this IS a good thing. I’d prefer to see Izzy with them (not really fussed about the drummer, but would go with Matt over Steven).
Listen to this album and remind yourself how good they were. I just wish Axl would lay off the breakfast potatoes.