Coleslaw… Absolutely love it myself but I know loads of people who hate it because of the high mayonnaise content. I am a firm believer in the World famous “there is a coleslaw for everybody” theory that I have just invented.
It all comes down to mayo or not to mayo. Vegan mayonnaise (especially vegenaise) is so ridiculously realistic now that the same problems apply for us vegans too. If you HATE creaminess, omit the mayo altogether, make a much more citrusy slaw more like a chopped salad but my biggest recommendation would be to replace it with a nice coconut yogurt. This will give you a much sharper, fresher slaw that is just as refreshing in Autumn as it is in Summer.
But… if you are simply after an amazing coleslaw that you can have during the colder months and embrace the full mayo flavour then make as is…
The real beauty of this, or any coleslaw for that matter, is it is fully customisable. I recommend sticking to the base and then adding whatever you want that is in season. Again, this actually applies to any season.
Makes enough for a big party! Adjust for smaller needs
- 1 quarter red cabbage, washed and outer leaves discarded if need be
- 1 quarter white cabbage, washed and outer leaves discarded if need be
- 1 red onion, peeled and halved
- 1 carrot, peeled
- fresh dill and parsley, chopped
Your choice of (I would limit to 1 or 2):
- beetroot , peeled
- turnip, peeled
- sweet Corn (added with fresh kernals, not processed)
- zucchini (de-seeded and hand chopped if using)
- fennel, washed and cut into smaller pieces
- celeriac, peeled and cut into smaller pieces
- shallots, peeled
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise or coconut yogurt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons dijon (or American style yellow if daring)
- Salt and pepper
- So easy……
- Put the slicing attachment on your food processor and slice the cabbage and onion. Transfer everything to a large bowl
- Put the shredding attachment on now and shred any other veg you are including. Transfer everything to the bowl
- Add mayo/yogurt, lemon juice and mustard
- Add chopped herbs
- Season with salt and pepper
- Mix everything really well
- Get it into ya!
At The Drive In “Relationship of Command”
The boys are back in town. Well kind of, they are halfway through a comeback tour but have had to cancel the rest of their US tour, but, they are keeping their remaining World dates.
Every now and then an album comes along that ignores EVERYTHING that is going on at the time and the band produce art that goes down in history. I LOVE bands like this.
Mars Volta came out of them and I will forever have a soft spot for them but ATDI are where it is at for me.
If you haven’t heard them before, now is the time to rectify that. This is an AMAZING album.
Check out their performance from years ago on the Jools Holland show if you have not already. I won’t say anything other than it was HILARIOUS watching Robbie Williams try and follow it!