This is one of the greatest sauces ever made.
Now I have set expectations stupidly high, let’s get into it….
If you haven’t tried it yet, cashews are a great alternative ingredient that when softened, provide a perfect texture for creams and sauces. It will need help though, so I highly encourage you to try a variety of different ingredients and see what you can come up with yourself.
For this one, I have gone for the tried and tested “chipotle cream”. My girlfriend and I eat a LOT of Mexican food and sometimes the hot sauce needs a partner. This is it. I make a batch of this pretty much weekly and it never lasts the 3 – 4 days it will keep in the fridge. I have even had this with a roast dinner before. Not bad, but I recommend having them on tacos more! Haha
This is the kind of food that when I turned vegan, really excited me and still continues to do so. It is finding out new “alternatives” like this on a weekly basis that continually inspires me to be a better cook.
All this and I haven’t even mentioned the health benefits. Look at what is in it, there is nothing bad in there… full of quality nutrients, healthy fats and tasty ingredients. It just works.
Serves enough to keep you going for 3 days in every meal!
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 4 – 8 hours or boiled for 10 minutes if no high speed blender)
- ¾ cup water (roughly)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus….
- 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- First prepare your cashews. Soak for about 8 hours (4 minimum) if you do not have a high-powered blender. Alternatively, you can just boil them for 10 minutes. It does exactly the same thing
- Add all remaining ingredients to a blender, minus the water
- Add half a cup (125ml) water to the blender and mix until well and truly mixed
- Keep adding water and mixing in very small measurements until the desired consistency is reached. This is usually about ¾ cup for me but judge for yourself. You do not want to overdo it
- Serve on anything! Burritos, rice dishes, sandwiches, cous cous, tacos etc
- Get it into ya
Cream “Wheels Of Fire”
Sorry, I had to! Great album though. Worth the money for “White Room” alone.
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!!