I have been intending to write this article for ages as this is my go to breakfast. It’s not the sexiest thing in the World to photograph though, so I until now I have avoided it, but feel I really need to include it as it is such a large part of my diet. Don’t worry though, if you eat this you will look just as sexy as me and everyone will want to photograph you!
It is a standard Green smoothie. The ‘macros’ are very good, but the important part to get right is the ratios. 430 calories, over 30 grams protein and only 1 gram saturated fat. That is good for anyone.
I have always added oats to my smoothies. Not only does it thicken it and make it slightly more like actual food, but it adds to the protein and loads you up with carbs which will help your workout. Or day if you are not working out. It will help whatever you do.
Add whatever protein powder you like. I use a brown rice and pea mixture that combines for a full amino acid intake. Oh, make sure it is flavourless. Trust me.
I also prefer to use spinach over kale. I feel spinach gives a far blander taste and doesn’t over power the awesome coconut water.
Finally, I quadruple the recipe and portion out the bananas, berries, apple and celery and freeze them. That way I can just chuck in the portioned mixture and not have to cut anything first thing in the morning. It saves loads of time, plus takes the place of ice which waters everything down.
Try it and see how you go. As always this is TOTALLY customisable so try your own variation. The possibilities are endless. Just keep the ratios and portions the same. I will be doing a separate post on here that goes into more detail as any vegan athlete will need to consume these. Let me know in the comments your version…
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 7.9g
- Sat Fat: 1g
- Carbs: 60.3g
- Protein: 30.5g
- 250ml coconut water (or you could use a non-dairy milk)
- ½ cup quick oats
- Big handful spinach/kale
- ½ banana (I freeze mine)
- 1 cup frozen mango pieces
- 1 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- ½ celery stalk (I freeze mine)
- Small handful blueberries
- 1 serving flavourless vegan protein powder
- Teaspoon chia seeds
- Start by adding the spinach, oats and coconut water to a blender, high powered if possible. Blend until liquefied
- Add protein powder and chia seeds and blend for a further 10 seconds or so
- Add all remaining ingredients and a few blocks of ice, if you have not frozen your fruit/veg. Blend until you have a perfectly liquid smoothie. You may need to add a touch of water to loosen it but do so in small stages. I find about 1/2 cup usually works well for a thick shake consistency
- Get it into ya!