First up I will admit, this is an emergency post!
Despite bragging to anyone that will listen that since I have adopted a plant based diet, I do not get ill any more, I have horribly gone and gotten ill! A SERIOUS case of the man flu. Actually it is worse than that, it is a horrible chest infection but that is not the point. The point is that I have some carefully selected “backup” recipes to post on here and this is one of them. The backups I have are not as sexy or as creative as my usual recipes, but they are no less important.
Cooking rice without a rice cooker seems to cause people loads of problems. You can use the package instructions if you prefer, but that is far from the best way to cook rice. If you do it my way, you will get perfect, light, fluffy rice EVERY time you cook it. This is achieved by doing the bulk of the work with boiling and then finishing off with steaming. It is the steaming part that really separates the moisture and gives you the fluffiness that you want.
The only thing to add is always use basmati rice. That is not optional and feel free to add your won spices. I have used ground coriander here but you can use ANYTHING. Paprika, lemon, garlic, oregano. The choice is yours.
Now, send help, I haven’t cooked in 2 weeks!
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil
- Meanwhile, rinse your rice in a colander for a minute or two. This is really important as removing the starchiness will stop the rice from sticking
- Boil the rice for 5 minutes
- If you have a steamer, steam the rice now for 8 minutes. If not you can use one of those steamer attachments that sit in the bottom of a saucepan. Just leave enough water in the bottom to create steam and cover for 8 minutes. If you don’t have one of those, then leaving about an inch of water at the bottom of the pan, you can use a colander that has hooks (most do) to sit over the top of the pan. Then use some tinfoil to make a lid. Steam for 8 minutes
- Fork the rice into a bowl and mix through your spice of choice. Coriander is good for any curries
- Divide between 4 plates, top with your choice of sauce and get it into ya!
Living Colour “Everything is Possible: The Very Best Of Living Colour”
Living Colour were one of my favourite bands growing up. Tom Morello owes a LOT to these guys, and to be fair to him, he is very open about it.
UFC 203 is currently on and it is CM Punks debut. You may not care about UFC, you may not care about CM Punk, but his entrance music is usually “Cult of Personality” by Living Colour and it has given me a nostalgic trip down to some original funk rock.
I really recommend checking them out. It can seem a little dated today but try and picture yourself back 20/30 years and you will see how revolutionary these guys were back then.