Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
How many days before Christmas can this be prepared/made: 3
Ah, Brussel Sprouts. Hated by so so so so many people and that is because 99.999% of the population include it in the Christmas dinner because they feel they have to. No love is put into the creation of them and like peas, are left to boil until dead and served as is. If you put a bit of care into your sprouts, I guarantee you will eat them at other points of the year too.
Sprouts are not just for Christmas!
The trick here is the texture, you are using a food processor but only lightly. You absolutely want to do a rubbish job here and have full, untouched sprouts and then you want to have sprouts that have been shredded until they are in pieces.
This recipe makes the most of my homemade tempeh bacon too. You can substitute with tofu if you like but whatever you choose, make sure you make an extra large batch. That will make bubble and squeak or leftover sandwiches so much better on Boxing day.
- 500g brussel sprouts, stems trimmed and manky outer leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- big knob of vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 “rashers” tempeh bacon, recipe from here
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Start by preparing your sprouts. Once ready, pulse a few times in a food processor. Some sprouts will be completely shredded and some will barely be touched. This is what you want
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over a medium heat
- Add the oil and butter and then fry the onions until softened, about 5 minutes
- Chop the tempeh bacon until diced and add to the pan, stir and fry for a further 5 minutes
- Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and fry for 2 minutes
- Add the sprouts to the pan along with 1 cup of water or stock, stir really well and then simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water has nearly all evaporated
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Get it into ya!
Christmas “The Collection”
Time to stop being a miserable git. It’s Christmas. Carols are not my thing but Christmas songs are excellent! Ha
This album won’t change for the duration of this series. I mean, why the hell would it?????
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!
The link isn’t working. Please use the spotify link from my Seitan recipe