Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 75 minutes
How many days before Christmas can this be prepared/made: 3, but best on the day
A simple spiced red cabbage recipe for Christmas. Slow cooking is the key here. I like a rougher chop to indicate the true feel of a home cooked meal so no food processor or fine chopping skills here. The different sizes will create a unique texture.
This, like a lot of the stuff on here, will be come back to many times, not just Christmas.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 red cabbage, outer leaves discarded, cored and roughly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, to serve
- Heat a large sauté pan over a medium heat
- Add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add the cabbage, sprinkle with some salt and fry until the water starts being released from the cabbage. You will know when this happens as the cabbage starts to shrink and fit the pan better. It should take about 5 minutes. Stir regularly
- Add the balsamic vinegar, give everything a stir, cover, lower heat to low/medium and leave for an hour, stirring every 10 minutes
- The cabbage should be sticky and thick after an hour. If it is still rather wet, remover the cover for the last 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and add some fresh chopped parsley
- Get it into ya!!!
Christmas “The Collection”
Time to stop being a miserable git. It’s Christmas. Carols are not my thing but Christmas songs are excellent! Ha
This album won’t change for the duration of this series. I mean, why the hell would it?????
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!
The link isn’t working. Please use the spotify link from my Seitan recipe