Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
How many days before Christmas can this be prepared/made: 2-3 days
Gotta love short bread! This was one of the first sweet things I learned to make as a non-vegan, so it makes sense that it was one of the first hacks I created as a vegan. I don’t feel the need to mess around here, keep it simple, have fun and don’t give a shit about calories, it’s Christmas!
I use a Dark Chocolate cut into tiny little pieces, almost like chocolate chips and the rind of an orange. The inspiration being a shortbread version of the Terry’s Chocolate Orange that everyone back home has for Christmas!
Enjoy this, it’s a great recipe.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup vegan butter (I used nuttelex), plus extra tablespoon for greasing baking paper
- 1/2 cup caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- rind from one orange
- 50g good quality dark chocolate (make sure it’s vegan), cut into tiny squares
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Mix the sugar and flour in a large bowl
- Add the vegan butter and slowly kneed until you form a sticky dough. It will be crumbly at first but stick with it, it will eventually come together. Make one large piece of dough
- Grate the rind of an orange into the bowl
- Add the dark chocolate pieces
- Mix everything until you have what looks like a giant uncooked cookie
- Tear off a large piece of baking paper and add a tablespoon of vegan butter to it. Spread around and make sure the base is covered. It will want to be at least 12 inches (3o cm)
- Put the dough onto the baking paper and gently push down until it starts to spread
- Using either use a rolling pin, bottle of booze or just using your hand, keep rolling/pushing until the dough is about 1cm high
- Push in the outside of the dough a little to make it look more like a pizza base (this will help it keep all the extra sugar on top) and then using a fork, jab a load of holes into the dough
- Place the baking paper on a large flat baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Check after around 25 minutes to make sure it isn’t burning
- Remove from oven and sprinkle extra caster sugar over
- Leave to cool and cut into whatever shape you goddamn want
- Get it into ya!!
Christmas “The Collection”
Time to stop being a miserable git. It’s Christmas. Carols are not my thing but Christmas songs are excellent! Ha
This album won’t change for the duration of this series. I mean, why the hell would it?????
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!
The link isn’t working. Please use the spotify link from my Seitan recipe