I’ll level with you, I haven’t kept up my usual dietary healthiness over Christmas. In fact I have been absolutely terrible. Like really bad. I have put on a few kg’s and you know what? I apologise for nothing! It has been a hell of a ride and I have loved every minute of it.
That being said, every party must come to an end and like 97% of human beings in January, I have restarted my health kick and am feeling very good at the moment.
Also, we are bang in the middle of Summer here in Australia and that means that the best food is available to us right now. Also being 306 degrees, means I want light food that holds a healthy punch, so I have decided to take advantage of the produce and make a mango salsa. I usually use diced peppers (capsicum) when I make this, but I had some amazing cherry tomatoes left over from a beans on toast I made so decided to go with that instead and it has worked out really well.
As with all food, this recipe is only as good as the produce you use so do try and visit your local farmers market or a local food market. The big supermarket chains just don’t do it for me. Choose a mango that is still a little firm but showing signs of softening. A good ripe mango is one of lifes great pleasures and the good old Australian summer, that I have come to love, supplies some of the best in the World.
With the actual tofu steak, I just use a tiny bit of smoked paprika and oregano but you can use whatever you have on hand and enjoy.
This dish works really well as part of a large salad, the salsa can actually replace any dressing needed but I made some crispy, smoky new potatoes with this and it worked really well.
Enjoy. Stay healthy.
- 500g firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and and chopped
- small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 red pepper, diced or 1/2 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- Serve with a salad and crispy new potatoes
- Cut the drained tofu into 4 squares and then each square into 2 triangles
- Put a griddle pan (or standard frying pan) on a medium high heat and preheat for a few minutes
- Add the oil and then fry the tofu for around 5 minutes on each side. I usually add some smoked paprika and oregano to each side to give a little extra flavour
- Meanwhile, add all the remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir well, but gently, you don’t want the mango falling apart. Refrigerate until ready
- Serve the tofu with spoonfuls of the mango salsa on top. This works really well as part of a salad
- Get it into ya!!!!
Snoop Doggy Dogg “Doggystyle”
It’s Summer. We are making mango salsa salads and on a health kick. The BBQ is blazing and although you are being healthy, you are still enjoying an ice cold beer. Stick this album on and relax. You deserve it!