I have a really simple, healthy and tasty dish for you here. A quick Sunday lunch with enough leftovers for sandwiches at work the next day.
I am making this because I am off to see Bruce Springsteen and want some hearty sandwiches to take with me, so I don’t spend any of my booze money on food! If all goes well, I watched him yesterday (I am typing this in the week before!) and he was amazing, as always. If this is coming a week after, then I enjoyed myself too much and am too hungover. Whatever the day, the Boss was amazing!
Right, back to food… This is exactly the kind of thing I would have laughed at in my carnivorous years. Replacing tuna with chickpeas? LOL Well… I am not going to bullshit you and try and convince you that it tastes exactly like tuna, it doesn’t. It does taste like a Jean Claude Van DAMN tasty chickpea sandwich though. Having said that, by using hummus and lemon together, you can create a tangy aftertaste that is definitely reminiscent of tuna. Give it a go and see for yourself.
As always this is choc full of fine veg, loaded with protein and makes an exceptional lunch.
You can definitely do other things with it too. Next week I will be showing you how to make an amazing chickpea tuna and carrot Asian inspired salad. Exceptional!
The consistency is up to you. If you want it much more like tuna, maybe add some vegan mayo to the mix at the end. You can even replace the hummus with mayo if you prefer.
Like most of my recipes, this is a base. Add whatever veg you like. I am just showing you what I include.
I hope you like this. Now I have to run….. I was Born to Run y’see…. Haha
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 spring onions, diced
- ½ large carrot, diced
- 3 – 4 celery stalks, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced (optional)
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3-4 tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Add the chickpeas and chopped veg to a large saute/frying pan/baking dish /anything with sides and a large surface area
- Add all the chopped veg
- Put the hummus into a bowl and add the lemon juice. Stir to loosen. If the mixture is still a little dry, add a small amount of water
- Add to the chickpea mixture along with all the remaining ingredients
- Mash to desired consistency. I like to keep a few chickpeas whole and don’t go too crazy here, but if you are after a tuna salad consistency, you will want to mash for a while, even adding more water (or even vegan mayo) if needed
- I serve this on toasted bread that has been spread with vegan mayo, chopped tomato and some spinach leaves
- Get it into ya
Bruce Springsteen “Born To Run”
I was talking with a guy from work about who the greatest frontman ever is. He thinks it is Freddie Mercury, which it isn’t. I think it is Bruce Springsteen, which it is.
This is the album that got me into him. The first time I saw him live, I only knew 2 songs. It was still the best gig I have ever seen though.
Absolutely incredible in every way. AMAZING band. Amazing singer. Amazing songs. Called ‘The Boss’ for a reason!
Every song on this album is a choon! (see what I did there?)