I am obsessed with cashew sauces. This is probably the simplest one I make and for that reason, the one I make the most as I am one of those weirdos who used to put sour cream on pretty much anything. I much prefer my chipotle cashew sauce, which I do put on everything but this is easier and a close second.
It is remarkable how much this does taste like sour cream, BUT, don’t go into it with that attitude! Even the smallest of textures of flavour that is different and you will be disappointed. I have been disappointed many, many times by vegan “hacks”. Go in with an open mind and I PROMISE you will be happy with the results. There’s no BS at the Long Player Kitchen!
Like all cashew sauces, the acid is what gives it that dairy feel. I use lemon here and if you are going for sour cream, there is no substitute. I compliment the lemon with a little apple cider vinegar and round everything out with some salt and garlic.
Have a go and let me know any alterations you make or how you usually make yours….
Oh and stay tuned for this stuffed sweet potato with guacamole recipe coming soon!
Serves enough to keep you going for a week
- 150g (a cup) cashews, soaked for 8 hours or boiled for 10 minutes if you don’t have a high speed blender
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ to 1 cup water
- Simply add everything to a blender, minus the water (don’t bother soaking if you are using a high speed blender like a vitamix)
- Start by adding ½ cup of water and blend for about 30 – 45 seconds
- Check the consistency and keep adding water and blending, tablespoon by tablespoon until you have the consistency you are after
- Get it into ya!!!
Wu-Tang Clan “Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)”
t may be the RZA’s (a vegan) involvement with the Kill Bill soundtrack that I recommended on last weeks exceptional post, but I have been on a Wu-Tang kick recently.
I simply love this album. It is everything that the Wu-Tang are about from a hip hop act in their prime.
Bring da mother fucking ruckus indeed!