I feel I may lose some of you with this one!
Back in the old days, I used to go with my old man to Jimmys Café in Tonbridge and get a “Jimmys # 1” breakfast, consisting of just about every bad food you can think of. Quantity over quality for sure, but the hangover it would usually be killing needed that!
A BIG part of my diet these days is rice and beans. It combines to make a perfect protein, tastes great and is ridiculously cheap. It does get bland after a while though, so I am continually looking at ways of making it more interesting.
It hit me the other day that converting my all time favourite breakfast, the full English, into rice and beans would not only be really easy, but could work out to taste really good too! It will be a risk but I’m a risky git!
If you think about the things that make a good fry-up – sausages, bacon, egg, beans and tomato, they all go really well with rice. So it makes sense that once veganised, put them together and BAM, you got yourself a really good breakfasty lunch, that may be corny as hell, but it works!
It is a simple recipe, you will need to make up some tofu bacon, preferably the day before so the tofu really soaks up the flavour, and I use ‘Follow Your Hearts’ egg. It is incredible, so good in fact, I don’t use any other alternative, but if you do, let me know which one and how it tastes.
Serves 2 huge, 3 normal or 4 small portions
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 2 vegan sausages (I used Linda McCartney ones)
- 2 “eggs” of Follow Your Heart brand (or similar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 batch of bacon from the B.L.A.T. recipe (I used tofu and 6 “rashers”)
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 – 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- Salt and pepper
- Start by roasting your tomatoes. Halve them, place them on a foil lined baking tray, season with salt and pepper and pour a small glug of olive oil over the top and bake for around 60 – 75 minutes at 165 degrees celsius
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook your sausages to the packets instructions
- Now, onto the beans, heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the tofu and fry for 5 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add the sausages (cut into pieces), beans, tomatoes, spices and ketchup. Continue frying for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly
- Season with salt and pepper
- Whilst doing this, about 10 minutes before the end, heat the remaining oil in a wok or large frying pan for 4 minutes and then add the egg and fry, stirring constantly for 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Drain the rice and add to the egg, Stir well and then add the bean mixture. Stir well and serve
- Get it into ya!!
Paul Weller “Stanley Road”
It makes sense that The Full English, being in my all time top 3 meals, has one of my top 3 all time favourite albums go with it. Stanley Road is that album. It shaped my teen years and turned me into the mod I am today.
Apart from maybe the end song, it does not have one weak song on it at all and the heights it reaches are ridiculous. “The Changing Man” ripped off from ELO or not, is up there with any tune ever written.