Vegan protein pancakes are something that I stayed away from for a long time because they just sound wrong. In fact, you would think they were three words that should never be used together, but trust me they can, and these do, taste excellent.
An ex guitar student of mine, after finding out I was now vegan, recently got in touch with me and told me all about an amazing business she has where she distributes essential oils. She asked if she could send me some, as they make great cooking additions, as well as being great for all round health care.
It is worth noting that the oil is not essential to the recipe, it just so happens that I had some, but they do make a GREAT addition. If you can get hold of some (check below if interested), I recommend it thoroughly, but if you can’t, feel free to omit or use the juice of half a lemon.
The actual pancakes are a breakfast I have regularly when I need an extra boost of protein. I am not gluten intolerant so I use all-purpose flour, however any flour will work here. You can even blend some oats to make your own flour, should you wish.
Each pancake has around 93 calories (without butter or oil) and around 4.5 grams protein. I usually have 5! You also get a good serving of fruit and can add any additional fruit toppings you wish.
I asked Jasmine to write a paragraph about her company. Over to you, Jasmine….
“doTerra oils are some of the most purest and potent essential oils you can get your hands on. The company behind them centres themselves around ethical, sustainable and generous practices.
Anyone wanting samples can contact me through my website http://www.jasminematthews.com “
Cheers Jasmine, good luck with the guitar playing again!
Get it into ya!
Makes around 10 pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour/gluten free flour/oats blended into flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scoop vegan unflavoured protein powder
- Pinch salt
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen is fine)
- 2 or 3 drops lemon doTERRA essential oil (optional)
- Olive oil/vegan butter
- Maple/Golden syrup (I used Myprotein sugarless golden syrup) to serve
- Mix your flour of choice, baking powder, protein powder and salt in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, mash a peeled banana using the back of a fork until liquidized. Add to the bowl
- Pour in the milk whilst continuously stirring. Stir until a loose batter has formed
- Add the blueberries and a couple of drops of the doTERRA lemon oil, if using
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat for a few minutes
- Add enough vegan butter or oil (or a combination of both) to completely coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer
- Using a ¼ cup measurer (or an ice-cream scoop), pour, in 4 batches at a time, into the pan at opposite sides and let the pancakes naturally take shape
- Fry for 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side
- Repeat process for however many you wish to make
- Create a pancake stack and generously pour over maple/golden syrup
- Get it into ya!
Lorde “Pure Heroine”
I let Jasmine choose this one. I don’t really know Lorde that much, so I will check this out myself.
I did meet her once though. Really nice girl. Very down to earth.
Listen – but do yourself a favour and buy it on vinyl!!